Teeth Whitening in Calgary
Your smile is the first thing that people notice when they meet you. Having a brighter, whiter smile leaves a better impression and will greatly improve how you feel about yourself!
Dr. Nagra, Dr. Nowak and Dr. Wasik are general dentists, not cosmetic dentist specialists. Cosmetic dentistry is not a term/specialty recognized by the Alberta Dental Association & College (ADA&C). Dr. Nagra, Dr. Nowak and Dr. Wasik provide cosmetic dental procedures such as porcelain veneers, dental implant crowns, dental bonding, and teeth whitening as part of their general dentist license.
The Zoom Teeth Whitening System
The Zoom Teeth Whitening System is a safe and effective treatment is applied right in our downtown Calgary clinic that whitens teeth in one appointment.
The Zoom Teeth Whitening System is more effective than take-home products, is fast acting, produces noticeable results, and it lasts. While you relax at our Calgary clinic, we will whiten your teeth an average of 8 shades brighter.
Internal Teeth Whitening (Bleaching)
Root canal treatment or trauma may cause a tooth to appear dark, and this discolouration comes from the inside of the tooth as opposed to staining on the surface. For this reason, the Zoom Teeth Whitening System isn't an effective treatment and teeth whitening must be approached from the inside of the tooth.
This internal teeth bleaching is achieved by placing a bleaching agent inside the tooth for several days and containing it with a small filling. This type of bleaching may be paired with the Zoom system to also treat surface stains, and it's often used before placing porcelain veneers so the underlying dark tooth will not show through the veneer.
Common Questions about teeth whitening
By using different formulations and concentrations of hydrogen peroxide, teeth whitening solutions remove external stains from the enamel of your teeth. The in-office Zoom Teeth Whitening System that we offer uses a specifically formulated, pH balanced hydrogen peroxide gel that gets activated by a high-intensity light to gently penetrate your teeth and remove deep stains and discolouration.
There are many teeth whitening systems, from over-the-counter strip, take-home kits and in-office systems, which all work to some degree but are not equal. In-office systems are the most effective and over-the-counter solutions are typically the least effective.
No needles or drills are used in the teeth whitening treatment, the high-intensity light generates no heat, and there is very little discomfort. Some patients may experience temporary increased sensitivity to cold, during or after the treatment, but symptoms will disappear within 1-3 days after treatment. To decrease sensitivity we recommend special toothpastes before treatment, and desensitizing gel is used after treatment in take-home touch-up trays.
Absolutely! The active ingredient in the teeth whitener gel is hydrogen peroxide, and extensive research and clinical studies have indicated that whitening your teeth with this product is entirely safe. Citations are available upon request, or you may do further research online.
Teeth whitening also won’t soften, damage, or weaken the enamel of your teeth. However, treatment is not recommended for children under 13 years of age or pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Our teeth whitening treatment will also have no adverse effects on your existing restorations, like fillings, dental crowns, veneers or dental bridges; however, these restorations also don’t benefit from teeth whitening the way natural enamel does. After whitening, your teeth may no longer match the colour of your restorations and it’s possible you’ll need to replace the restorations with a whiter material to keep all of your teeth consistently bright. We will be able to assess your specific circumstances during your pre-whitening appointment.
The results of teeth whitening will differ for every patient, but your teeth will always be noticeably brighter once treatment is complete. Clinical studies have shown that the Zoom Teeth Whitening System can improve teeth whiteness by up to 12 shades, with the average being 8 shades. Individual results will vary based on age, the type of stains, initial tooth colour and the extent of restorations used on your teeth (e.g. fillings, dental crowns, dental bridges).
Depending on individual results, we may recommend additional bleaching at home or another teeth whitening session at our downtown Calgary office. Otherwise, with proper care and an occasional touch-up at home, your white smile will sparkle for years to come.
To ensure the best results, we also encourage clients to refrain from staining products for at least 48 hours after treatment, such as coffee, tea, red wine or tobacco products.
There are many reasons that teeth can become discoloured over time.
- Staining foods - Consumptions of foods like coffee, tea, wine, cola, berry juices, tobacco or even dark vegetables can lead to the staining of your teeth
- Poor dental hygiene - failing to properly care for your teeth with regular cleaning, brushing and flossing can worsen the effects of staining foods or other causes of discolouration
- Aging - the enamel surface of your teeth will gradually and naturally wear down over time, revealing the yellow material below (dentin) that comprises the core of your teeth
- Microscopic cracks - simply from chewing and natural wear, millions of microscopic cracks will form in the enamel surface of your teeth and stains and debris can build up to cause discolouration
- Medications - Excessive consumption of fluoride or tetracycline during childhood can lead to discoloured teeth, as can certain diseases and medical conditions
- Teeth whitening removes the stains and debris that can build up on your teeth, to restore the natural brightness of even the darkest teeth.
To maintain a whiter smile, before and after your teeth whitening treatment:
- Try to avoid staining foods like coffee, tea, red wine, cola, and tobacco
- Maintain your regular hygiene appointments
- Practice good oral hygiene and brush and floss regularly, especially after consuming the staining foods listed above
- Avoid frequent exposure to acidic foods such as strong citrus fruits or vinegar, as they contribute to enamel erosion
- Never smoke or use tobacco products
- If you play sports, protect your teeth from trauma which can lead to cracking
In order to ensure that teeth whitening is approached properly and will be the most effective for your unique smile, all patients will need to complete a New Patient Comprehensive Evaluation before teeth whitening can be completed. During your examination, you can discuss your desire to have your teeth whitened with Dr. Nagra, Dr. Nowak or Dr. Wasik and a prioritized treatment plan, with options for improving and whitening your smile, will be presented to you.