A Splint / Night Guard Can Help You
The names splint and night guard describe the same thing, an acrylic appliance that is worn on the upper or lower teeth overnight.
A splint will help with the following issues:
- Headaches, and stiff or sore neck muscles
- Clenching and grinding of your teeth (bruxism)
- Protecting any dental work you may have (veneers, dental implants, dental crowns)
- Improving the alignment of your jaw and relieving pressure on your TMJ
- Helping you sleep
- Helping to maintain the health of your spine and good posture
Wearing a Splint for Bite Problems
A splint can also be used as a temporary and inexpensive solution to bite problems. This may be applicable if pursuing orthodontics (braces) through a referral by Ambiance Dental to a specialist, or if dental reconstruction (crowns, veneers or onlays) isn’t feasible at the time.
Wearing a splint may also be used as a preliminary diagnostic step before getting the above treatments. By wearing your splint 24/7 for 3-12 months, and getting regular adjustments every 1-2 weeks, we are able to determine the best relationship between the upper and lower jaws, and the best position of the TMJ. This information can be used to offer the best results when any bite rehabilitation is pursued.