You can keep your teeth and gums healthy by brushing regularly, flossing, and visiting our Calgary clinic for regular hygiene appointments. We recommend hygiene appointments every 6 months for most clients, but more frequently for those with unhealthy gums (gum disease).
Our hygienists want to ensure that your teeth remain free of any build-up, and look healthy and beautiful all year round!
Scaling is a major part of every hygiene appointment and allows us to reduce plaque, tartar and bacteria that may reside on your teeth. We employ two methods of scaling on your teeth, one of which is a traditional hand scaling tool. The method used depends on your unique hygiene circumstances.
Oral Cancer Detection
Family doctors don't regularly provide oral cancer exams, but early detection is vitally important in combatting the disease. (Citations of dental research sources are available upon request, or you may do further research online.) We complete oral cancer screening during your New Patient Comprehensive Evaluation, and additional screening may be pursued as part of your annual hygiene schedule.
Caries (cavities) Protection
We are capable of detecting cavities at the very early stages of development, and can help your teeth heal these cavities if they are discovered early enough. Read more about our minimally invasive options for early cavity detection.
Our Hygienists Will...
- Offer a comprehensive prevention program for people with higher risk of tooth decay
- Communicate closely between hygienists and dentist, for the most comprehensive understanding of our patients
- Explain all treatment plans carefully, and the impact of your dental health on your general health
- Offer dietary advice that can benefit your dental health
- Offer topical anesthetic for patients with sensitive gums and teeth
- Treat periodontal (gum) disease using deep scaling and root planing
- Monitor your gums’ overall health at your regular appointments
- Provide teeth whitening
- Discuss the use of our preferred dental hygiene products: floss, toothpastes, electric toothbrushes, water picks, medicated toothpastes, etc.